Sunday, September 11, 2005

eggs romesco

I love making brunch on Sunday mornings. I love that after sleeping in, I start my day by cooking something exciting (and often improvised). I love how it makes every room of the apartment smell like something delicious. When I can afford to do so, I also like to let the professionals at a nearby restaurant do the cooking for me. A few weekends ago I went to Fellini in Berkeley with some friends for brunch. Their special that day was eggs with romesco sauce (a Spanish sauce often put on shrimp, shellfish, and meats). I thought this was a neat alternative to your usual Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, Eggs Brady, Eggs Blackstone, and other breakfasts that usually come with hollandaise sauce. Today, on a whim, I decided to try making my own version of romesco sauce based on my memory of what the stuff at Fellini tasted like. Afterwards, I did my research and learned that my tastebuds got it right, except I substituted ricotta for the traditional bread crumbs.

(serves 2... because Sunday brunch should be enjoyed with others)

4 eggs
2 English muffins, split and toasted
2-3 oz feta cheese, sliced or crumbled
4 tomato slices (lightly pan-grilled, if you'd like)
Romesco sauce (recipe follows)
chopped parsley

To poach the eggs: Fill a large non-stick pan with 1 inch of water. Add 1½ tsp of white vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add eggs one at a time by cracking into a small bowl or custard cup, then gently slipping the egg into the pan. Let cook for about 4-5 minutes. Remove carefully with a slotted spoon, letting excess liquid drain.

Top each English muffin half with feta, tomato, poached egg, and romesco sauce (in that order). Garnish with parsley and/or more crumbled feta. Serve with home fries or fresh fruit.

Romesco Sauce
¼ c walnuts (toasted, if you'd like)
½ tsp minced garlic
½ c roasted red peppers
2 Tbsp fresh ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
a few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Chop walnuts in food processor. Add garlic and peppers, chop finely. Add ricotta, vinegar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Blend some more. Drizzle in olive oil while food processor is running.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger jeannie said...

mmmmmmmm I made that romesco sauce and spread it over sliced baguette with a slice of tomato.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice!

I'm honored that you've tested out my recipe.

If anyone else has any feedback, let me know (I can handle criticism too) so that I can improve and revise these recipes if I need to.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home